高等教育に関する質保証関係用語集 Glossary of Quality Assurance in Japanese Higher Education

用語集 博士課程

博士課程 Doctoral Program

専攻分野について、研究者として自立して研究活動を行い、又はその他の高度に専門的な業務に従事するために必要な高度の研究能力及びその基礎となる豊かな学識を養うことを目的とする大学院課程。博士課程への入学は、大学(学士課程)の卒業、専門職大学の卒業、大学改革支援・学位授与機構の学士の学位を取得した者等に認められている。また、大学は個別の入学資格審査によって入学資格を認めることができる。
博士課程の標準修業年限は5年であるが、前期2年及び後期3年の課程に区分することができる。区分した場合、前期2年の課程は、これを修士課程として扱う。また、後期3年のみの博士課程を置くこともできる。6年間の修業を求める学士課程のある専攻分野(医学、歯学、薬学の一部及び獣医学)の博士課程の標準修業年限は4年と定められている。現在では、区分して博士課程を設置する場合が一般的であり、博士課程(後期)への入学は修士の学位や専門職学位を有する者等に認められている。修了すると博士の学位が授与される。
博士課程の修了要件は、5年(標準修業年限が5年を超える場合は、当該修業年限以上。修士課程の2年間を含む)以上在学し、30単位以上を修得し、かつ必要な研究指導を受けた上、大学院の行う博士論文の審査及び試験に合格することである。
ただし、大学院の課程によらず、当該大学の学位規則に基づき論文を提出し、大学院の行う博士論文の審査に合格し、かつ、大学院の博士課程を修了した者と同等以上の学力を有することを確認されたものに対し博士の学位を授与することも認められている。
文部科学省によると2018年度の博士の学位授与数(15,143件)のうち、課程を修了することによって授与されたものが88.1%、論文の提出によって授与されたものが11.9%である。

Doctoral Program 博士課程

A graduate program to foster the advanced research ability required to autonomously conduct research in specific fields or to be responsible for highly professional engagement as well as profound erudition underlying the research ability.
Admission to doctoral programs is granted for those who have been awarded a bachelor’s degree. Additionally, universities may determine eligibility for admission on the basis of their own specific admission qualification assessment.
While the standard length of a doctoral program is five years, it may be divided into a two-year first-stage program and a three-year second-stage program. In this case, the two-year first-stage program is treated as a master’s program. A graduate school may also establish a doctoral program consisting solely of a three-year second-stage program. For major fields in which the undergraduate program requires six years of study (medicine, dentistry, some pharmaceutical sciences programs and veterinary medical science), the standard length of the doctoral program is set at four years. It is a common practice to establish bipartite doctoral programs, the eligibility for the second stage of which is acquisition of master’s degrees or professional degrees. Those who successfully complete the program are awarded a doctoral degree.
The requirements for successful completion of a doctoral program include enrollment for the standard program length, which is normally five years and the earning of no less than 30 credits as well as the successful assessment and examination of doctoral thesis.
A doctoral degree may be awarded to the person who has not enrolled the programs if she/he submits a dissertation in accordance with the Rules for Degrees at the university, and is confirmed as having academic abilities equivalent to the completion of the doctoral program.
Doctoral degrees by coursework are the main form of doctoral degree in Japan: of the 15,143 doctoral degrees awarded in 2018-19, 88.1% were doctoral degrees by coursework, while the remaining 11.9% were doctoral degrees by thesis only.

関係法令 Related laws and regulations

学校教育法102条第1項、同第104条第3項、同第104条第4項、学校教育法施行規則第155条、学位規則第4条

関連用語 Related items

作成日 Published date

2021/08/03
文字列検索